2014-07-17

Yani - 11 years of age...


Slow MotherDiary

Tomorrow is Yani’s birthday. 

My son will be 11 years old.

I feel so blessed to have shared these years with him.

He has a kind, gentle soul - he makes people feel calm.

He is true to his name: Peace – and while his sister, Pacha, and I, often run around – busy and frantic – he has this solid, slow presence. He just doesn’t function well in a rush…He teaches me, and frustrates me at the same time – about learning to go slow…

Maybe that slower pace is what makes him so good at making people laugh – that’s what he likes to do the best. His stillness draws people’s attention – forced to wait patiently to catch his words, expression or subtle gesture…Sometimes I think he is simply a bit behind everyone else (even his teacher has commented on his ‘laid back’ attitude!) – but then he will say something so deep and profound, or take the time to create the most beautiful, intricate art or land a perfectly calculated trick in the air or sea…and I just sigh and realize that he will be who he is and that he’ll find his way in life. He is unique and will not be molded into anything that is not true to his soul…

He has missed out on having a father around and sometimes he pushes the boundaries with me – looking for the edge of tolerance, maybe for some masculinity – and I respond, showing him my power, like a mother bear…but most of the time we indulge in gentleness and fun.

His greatest passions are full of creativity and connection – surfing, playing in the waves - absolutely at home in his body, in his balance…On land he skates – graceful and free – he rarely falls – despite trying some pretty crazy tricks – and even then, never seems to hurt himself…And he has music in his heart – always listening to a wide range of styles and teaching himself how to play his favourites on a keyboard.

Yani, I could burst from the love I feel for you – Thank-you for coming into my life…



2 comments:

Reserva Biológica Cerro Seco said...

I can feel your love for your son in your words. Just wonderfull! Michaela

Slow Mother Anja said...

Thank you darling Michaela - we will never forget the magic birthday party you made for him last year at Cerro Seco!